Sunday, September 9, 2012

First post!

Tediously working my way through the harmonium I'm quickly reminded how bad I am at reading poetry. Reading out loud has it's benefits, but Stevens always manages to make me re-read three or four lines before I finish. This semester I hope to develop and grow towards a critical and proficient mind that can deconstruct these mysterious works of art that Stevens writes on the page. As I read over your blogs its obvious many of my peers have already figured this out, and I'll also be learning from you as well as Dr. Sexon.

Stenvens' poetry is unlike most poetry I've read. When I hear poetry i think, Shell Silverstein, Robert Frost and Edward Abbey. I believe Stevens poetry has a lot more in store for me if im willing to really analyze them. If I only scratch the surface at least I can enjoy his use of words and the balancing act between reality and the imagination.


Dr. Sexon passed around a bag of books yesterday and I managed to pull, On Extended Wings, out of the bag. Between a tattered book jacket on faded print Helen Hennessy Vandler examines, Longer Poems by Wallace Stevens. I'm looking forward to reading sections of the book, especially the ones Dr. Sexon has underlined.



No comments:

Post a Comment